Divorce Lawyer in Yuma, AZ
Fighting to Achieve Your Goals for the Next Stage of Your Life
If you’re considering a divorce or you’ve already started down that road, you probably already have realistic goals that you’d like to achieve in terms of child custody, child support, alimony, and asset division. The Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. can help you move forward. We will fight to help you achieve your goals.
Call our Yuma divorce attorney at (928) 224-3230 to discuss your situation today.
Choosing No-Fault, Uncontested, or Contested Divorce
Arizona family law provides for a no-fault divorce if spouses agree the marital relationship is irretrievably broken. However, spouses in a “covenant marriage” must allege traditional grounds for a divorce, which, in Arizona, include:
- Conviction of a felony
- Abandonment for at least one year
- Separation for at least two years
- A legal separation followed by one year of living separately
- Physical, sexual, or emotional abuse of the spouse or a family member
No-fault divorce is easier and less expensive than a fault-based divorce, because you have one fewer issue to litigate. However, it is not the same as an uncontested divorce.
If you and your spouse have actually worked out agreements about how you would like your divorce to be settled, a fight may not be necessary. Some negotiations or mediation can result in an uncontested divorce. Our Yuma divorce lawyer helps you go through the legal process to wrap everything up efficiently and ensure that your agreement becomes legally binding.
Of course, the same disagreements that prompted divorce can carry over to the divorce process itself. Battles often ensue over child custody, how much child support will be paid, and who gets the house and other property. When you must litigate these matters to reach a resolution, you have a contested divorce. While negotiation may be possible, our strength is that we are ready to go to court to fight for the outcome you deserve. We have more than 30 years of experience getting positive results for people in Yuma and the Phoenix metro area.
Veteran Guidance for Military Divorce
Our founding attorney, Phil Hineman, is a veteran of the United States armed forces. As a member of the U.S. Army Reserve, he served on the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, or JAG Corps. This background means that we are familiar with the unique issues that come into play during military divorce cases, such as:
- Residency requirements: One spouse must have been a resident of Arizona, or the military spouse must have been stationed here, for at least 90 days.
- Protection from default judgment: The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (formerly the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Civil Relief Act) allows the court to postpone divorce proceedings while a service member (a member of the uniformed services) is on active duty and for up to 60 days after.
- Property rights: The Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act controls the division of military retirement benefits upon divorce. The USFSPA authorizes direct payment of benefits to a former spouse. Spouses must have been married for at least 10 years to have the right to share a service member’s pension.
- Support restrictions: The court may not order child support and alimony awards that exceed 60 percent of a service member’s pay and allowances.
After more than 30 years of fighting for our clients’ rights, we know how to handle these issues and deliver the best possible results.
Whether you’re going through a tough divorce battle or simply need wise counsel to finalize a settlement, the Law Office of Phil Hineman, P.C. is ready to help. We are compassionate and ready to listen, but we are also ready to do battle for your best result. Call (928) 224-3230 or contact us online to discuss your options with an experienced divorce lawyer.
Mr. Hineman represented me in my response to a petition for relocation.- David K.
I highly recommend them if you need to file bankruptcy.- Bob R.
Mr. Hineman was very helpful.- Walter H.
If you're in trouble, do not hesitate to call on Mr. Hineman's help.- Kristian H.
A really good attorney.- Gerardo M.
Compassionate & Responsive Service
Results-Driven Legal Strategies
Wide Range of Legal Services Available
Over 30 Years of Legal Experience
Phil Hineman has been providing bankruptcy, family law, and criminal law services for the community for over 25 years. Reach out to discuss your case today.